TECH TIPS: TELEWORK PREPAREDNESS
CES IT Manager Derick Louis Provides Tech Support and Tips
The world is faced with unprecedented challenges amidst the COVID-19 crisis. CES Tech Support and Data Management have been taking the necessary steps to ensure our staff has all the tools required to be productive, whether they are working out in the field, at the office, or even in the safety of their own home.
Keeping our computer network, database, and systems administration functioning is key to making sure our team can operate efficiently. This could not be done without the technical expertise of our very own IT Manager, Derick Louis.
With remote work becoming the new normal for many companies across the world, connectivity and communication are more critical than ever. Thank you, Derick, for keeping us online and secure around the clock. Your product knowledge and troubleshooting techniques never go unnoticed!
If you are working remotely, here are a few tips provided by Derick to improve internet security and productivity:
- Use VPN only when necessary. Virtual private networks, which provide secure direct connections to the corporate network, may be required when accessing files, working with sensitive information, or using specific software.
- Update your router’s software. Home routers should be updated to the most current software and secured with a lengthy, unique passphrase.
- Think before you click. Avoid downloading or clicking on unknown links in emails. If you aren’t sure if you should, call the sender first. Hackers often use fake websites to trick you into giving sensitive information or to install malware onto your device.
- Guard your devices. If you work remotely, never leave your laptop, tablet, or cellphone – including any USB or external storage devices – unattended. Avoid entering passwords where others can see.
- Update your devices. If you are using a personal device that’s been approved for teleworking, be sure that it’s running the most current operating system and that your web browsers and other applications are also up to date. Also, be sure you are running an up-to-date and modern anti-virus software solution. Updates include essential changes that improve the performance and security of your devices.
- Contact your IT help desk. If you need technical support, please contact your IT Manager. Don’t try to fix technical issues yourself.